The month of August is a busy one but before the back to school craze begins there is one thing I really look forward to- SHARK WEEK! This year on Sunday, August 10th Shark Week will be live in action on the Discovery Channel. For one week we will have the opportunity to learn all about sharks, how they live, and their close encounters with humans. This program was originally developed to raise awareness and respect for sharks. Now it has sky rocketed into a national craze.
So, this year I decided to make a yummy snack that will be perfect in kicking off a week of shark-tastic fun. Cake Batter Shark Bait is sweet, salty, and has a special surprise lurking inside! Ready to get chompin’?
- 2 bags of popcorn (white-butter-kettle corn)
- 1 1/2 cups of cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups of white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil or shortening
- 1/3 cup of shark or fish sprinkles
- gummy sharks
1. Pop 2 bags of popcorn and pour into large bowl. Remove any un-popped kernels and allow to cool.
2. In the microwave melt white chocolate chips in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until creamy and melted.
3. Add vegetable oil or shortening, continuing to stir until blended.
4. Add in cake mix and stir until thickened. Also, add in your sprinkles.
5. Pour mixture into the bowl of popcorn and carefully mix together until all pieces are coated evenly.
6. Line a baking sheet with wax paper and spread the popcorn on the sheet.
7. Allow to settle and harden in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes.
8. Once bait is put into a bowl, scatter gummy sharks within for a fun surprise.
Will you be tuning into Shark Week this Sunday on the Discovery Channel?