This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BringYourBestBowl #Walmart #CollectiveBias
Refresh your morning routine with a bowl of Spiced Sweet Potato & Brown Sugar Pecan Crumble Oatmeal. The best way to start your day is with a satisfying breakfast and Quaker® Oats has you covered.
Easy meals are what I live for, especially when it comes to breakfast. I can barely get my act together in the morning so the thought of preparing a smorgasbord of family favorites in less than 30 minutes is next to impossible. Honestly, at least 10 of those 30 minutes are devoted to burning something anyways. Guilty. I am not the best cook but I do try and breakfast is usually one thing you can’t screw up. This may sound overly dramatic when the first meal of the day can be as simple as cereal or a few scrambled eggs . For someone like me, with a million and one things going on at any given time, breakfast needs to be painless and still delicious. Fortunately, my family loves Quaker® Oats just as much as I do and the good thing about a bowl of oats is the freedom to make it your own.
Whether you prefer a sprinkle of brown sugar or a handful of fresh fruit, oatmeal is undeniably delicious. This Spiced Sweet Potato Oatmeal Bowl topped with my famous brown sugar pecan crumble will have you thinking about breakfast morning, noon, and night! With a combination of spiced sweet potato puree and crunchy brown sugar coated corn flakes, the combo of flavors has me feeling like it’s Thanksgiving in February. It was an absolute must that I re-create this recipe for the Quaker® “Bring Your Best Bowl” contest. Oatmeal has always been my first choice in the morning because it can be made within a matter of minutes and it‘s just EASY. What parent wouldn’t appreciate a little simplicity?
Last week “simplicity” was my best friend. We had a few super busy days ahead and I had a feeling there would be minimal time to prepare breakfast for either of us. From early dental appointments to school activities, a bowl of Quaker® Oats was there to save the day and keep bellies full until lunch time. Toodie had her first Color Run on Thursday and being the super mom that I am, it was a expected that I volunteered. I had a blast. By the end of the day I was exhausted but far from hungry. That almost never happens. There was zero urge to snack, nibble, or graze when I walked in the door after hours of throwing colored corn starch on herds of wound up kiddos. I credit the yummy creation I get to share with you today.
Behold, sweet potato souffle in a bowl!
- Quaker® Instant Oatmeal Maple Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of crushed frosted corn flakes
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of sweet potato puree
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 stick of melted butter
- pinch of sea salt
- mini marshmallows
1. Begin by making brown sugar pecan crumble. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine corn flakes, pecans, salt, and light brown sugar in medium sized bowl. Pour in melted butter and mix until all ingredients are coated. Spread mixture on baking sheet in even layer and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool before breaking into crumbles. You’ll have plenty leftover so be sure to store the excess in an air tight container.
2. Prepare one packet, half a cup, of Maple Brown Sugar oatmeal. Empty packet in microwave safe bowl, add milk and stir. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes.
3. In separate bowl combine sweet potato puree, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon. Stir until well combined and microwave for 1-2 minutes or until warm.
4. Scoop mixture onto oatmeal and sprinkle pecan crumble generously on top. By generous I mean LOAD it on because this stuff is seriously addicting!
5. Add mini toasted marshmallows on top and enjoy. Marshmallows can be toasted with a torch or in the oven. If using the oven method, line a baking sheet with foil and spread out a handful of marshmallows. Broil for 5-6 minutes or until they begin to brown. Time will vary based on your oven. Keep an eye on them so they don’t get too toasty.
I was able to find the Quaker® Oats and all the other necessary ingredients to make the Spiced Sweet Potato Oatmeal Bowl at my local Walmart store.
Have a unique way of re-creating your own bowl of oatmeal? It’s time to shine! Enter Quaker® Oats National Bring Your Best Bowl Contest and you could be the winner of $250,000. The top recipe entries will be created and sold in stores for a limited time in Fall 2016. The contest officially ends on March 12, 2o16 and the winner will be announced some time in November. You have plenty of time to brainstorm and experiment with flavor pairings.
What Quaker® Oats recipe will you be submitting in the Bring Your Best Bowl contest?