I never do this. I never make resolutions and realistically if I do, they are never fulfilled as I originally planned. I do love reading other people’s resolutions, hopes, dreams, and plans though. For me these just look better on paper or typed up on the computer! It’s the first day of 2015 and I am all about sharing my “want to do but can’t make any promises” list. Not exactly resolutions but close enough wouldn’t you say? These are 10 things that gotta get done in 2015, no “ifs”– “ands” — or “buts” allowed.
1. Finish school– I don’t consider myself a procrastinator by any means but it has taken me the longest to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, even though I am in fact…grown up. I started business school last year and am back to being a full time student again. If all goes well I will have the degree I desire and hopefully a career I love. I decided a while ago that I didn’t want to be one of those people that hate their job and I will do whatever it takes to find something I am truly passionate about. I want to love waking up to go to a place where I love my job, my coworkers, and my boss too! It’s possible I promise. I know people who know people..
2. Stop buying makeup- I am done buying makeup.. for now at least. I felt a sense of accomplishment when I made my last purchase of 2014 at Sephora yesterday. I am officially a VIB Rouge and for those of you who are also makeup junkies, you know that’s some serious business. I am going to play the “empties” game this year and use what I have before I buy anything else. I will not give into temptation!
3. Take an artsy class- I’ve been wanting to do this one for a while now but never get around to it. I have always had a passion for art whether it’s crafting, painting, or creating. I may be the only one of my friends who hasn’t been to one of those trendy painting classes where you can munch on chips and drink cheap wine. I want that in my life and I will make it happen.
4. Read- I read. I read everyday. I just don’t read books anymore. Everything is online these days and although I am processing what’s in front of me I don’t think it’s making me any smarter. My vocabulary is lacking and my word bank needs a refill. I really miss reading an actual paperback book and getting lost within the pages. This year I plan on picking out a few good books and making time to actually read them.
5. Drink more water- Less coffee and more H2O in 2015. Why? Because it’s good for you and I am really tired of having to use teeth whitening strips because of my White Chocolate Mocha addiction. Don’t worry Starbucks this “resolution” will only last a week, maybe two. Let’s not get our hopes up though.
6. Eating healthier- I know, the classic “eat healthy and go to the gym” resolution. I dabbled in this in 2014 but could not stick with a clean eating plan that I didn’t bore me to death. This year I am all about trying new foods, even the gross vegetables I have avoided for years. That doesn’t include Brussels Sprouts though. Never. They smell like feet. I think I’ll join a new gym too. Haven’t been to one of those in a while. Baby steps.
7. Mastering my DSLR- Best investment of 2014 goes to my Canon Rebel which I love dearly. It’s a building block for any blogger. Your photos are important and it’s much easier to tell a story with good pictures to compliment it. I really want to make the effort in learning the ins and outs of photography, for my blog and for personal use. It’s such an amazing tool and it’s not reaching full potential sitting in the camera bag everyday.
8. Make more time for me- Four years ago this wasn’t even a topic of conversation but as I have gotten older I tend to have more things to do and less time to do them in. Then I realized, there is always going to be something to do and it doesn’t have to be done right that moment. I need to make time for me, for my friends, for my relationship and not forget that I am more than a mom. I can have fun too and it’s okay to take that me time so I don’t get burned out. The laundry can wait but that margarita is gonna melt!
9. Let go of the past- I did a lot of praying and a whole lot of soul searching in 2014. It felt good-really good. I wanted to go into the new year with a clean slate and not a heavy heart. We all have a past, a story, and a road we have traveled. Some a little more bumpy than others. Regardless, I have decided to pave my own way and let go of any bad feelings that have been weighing my down. Besides, it takes way too much energy to hold onto those things that ultimately made me who I am today- a better me at that.
10. Make time to blog- I know this will be a challenge in the new year because my work load is doubling. I still hope that I can find time to blog here and there, even if it’s a quick recipe or craft. I refuse to give up my cozy corner on the web and am confident I can successfully balance “life” and its demands. This is my creative space and we all need one of those to escape to.
That’s it. Ten things that gotta get done in 2015. I am sure I will be adding to the list at some point but for now I think I have enough to work on. What are some things you are focusing on in the new year?