Last week I picked up a copy of the Better Homes & Gardens newest Halloween Tricks & Treats edition for 2014. Normally I head straight to Pinterest when looking for ideas and inspiration but I am loving the quick and clever creations within the pages of this seasonal magazine. Inspired by a set of bright green pretzel rods decorated with eyeballs, I re-created my own version of spooky salted sticks. These Eerie Eyeball Pretzel Rods are easy to make and also adorable for Halloween. Since my trial run was a success I plan on making these for Toodie’s class next month. They are just the right amount of creepy and can be individually wrapped for each child to enjoy!
What You Need:
- salted pretzel rods
- Wilton Candy Melts (orange, vibrant green, and lavender)
- Wilton Candy Edible Eyeballs
- Wilton Candy Melts™ Candy Melting Pot (optional)
- sparkling sugar crystals (orange, green, and purple)
- baking rack or parchment paper
- Pre-heat candy melting pot for 5 minutes or designate three microwave safe bowls to heat chocolate.
- Melt colored chocolate discs separately and work with one color at a time as it will harden quickly. If using microwave method heat each bowl of candy for 60 second intervals while stirring with a rubber spatula in between.
- Once melted and creamy dip your pretzel rods into chocolate. Cover about 3/4 of the way. To get a thick coat of chocolate remove the rod and re-dip while swirling to create another layer on top. You can even use a spoon to drizzle melted candy on.
- Roll coated pretzel rod in sugar crystals immediately or sprinkle them on until chocolate is covered.
- Place rods on parchment paper or baking rack to cool and set.
- Once they have hardened use leftover chocolate to attach candy eyeballs to pretzel sticks.
What kind of spooky treats will you be making for Halloween?