Last week I picked up a copy of the Better Homes & Gardens newest Halloween Tricks & Treats edition for 2014. Normally I head straight to Pinterest when looking for ideas and inspiration but I am loving the quick and clever creations within the pages of this seasonal magazine. Inspired by a set of bright green pretzel rods decorated with eyeballs, I re-created my own version of spooky salted sticks. These Eerie Eyeball Pretzel Rods are easy to make and also adorable for Halloween. Since my trial run was a success I plan on making these for Toodie’s class next month. They are just the right amount of creepy and can be individually wrapped for each child to enjoy!
What You Need:
- salted pretzel rods
- Wilton Candy Melts (orange, vibrant green, and lavender)
- Wilton Candy Edible Eyeballs
- Wilton Candy Melts™ Candy Melting Pot (optional)
- sparkling sugar crystals (orange, green, and purple)
- baking rack or parchment paper
- Pre-heat candy melting pot for 5 minutes or designate three microwave safe bowls to heat chocolate.
- Melt colored chocolate discs separately and work with one color at a time as it will harden quickly. If using microwave method heat each bowl of candy for 60 second intervals while stirring with a rubber spatula in between.
- Once melted and creamy dip your pretzel rods into chocolate. Cover about 3/4 of the way. To get a thick coat of chocolate remove the rod and re-dip while swirling to create another layer on top. You can even use a spoon to drizzle melted candy on.
- Roll coated pretzel rod in sugar crystals immediately or sprinkle them on until chocolate is covered.
- Place rods on parchment paper or baking rack to cool and set.
- Once they have hardened use leftover chocolate to attach candy eyeballs to pretzel sticks.
What kind of spooky treats will you be making for Halloween?
Growing Up Madison says
Huppie Mama says
Karen Glatt says
Brandie Strachan says