When I was in high school there was a restaurant not far from my home called HOPS. My mom and I used to go there about once a week in the afternoon because they served the most incredible Jalapeno Poppers we had ever tasted. Served with a side of sweet homemade pepper jelly, the combination of flavors was completely unique and delicious. Did I mention that instead of serving bread at the table they brought a warm plate of fresh fluffy croissants topped with a sweet drizzle of icing? This place was heaven! While the location closed a few years later, I have yet to forget my popper experience and decided to attempt to replicate these tasty snacks.
- 1 package of refrigerated square won ton paper
- 1 package of 8 oz. cream cheese
- 3 jalapenos
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
1. In a bowl combine softened cream cheese, finely chopped jalapenos, and any desired spices. I used a dash of sea salt, garlic, and pepper.
2. Lightly coat a baking sheet with spam and place won ton papers down in a single layer. Preheat oven to 350°.
3. Add 1 teaspoon of cream cheese filling in the middle of each won ton. Lightly sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of each scoop.
4. Using your fingers and a dab of water, seal edges so filling does not ooze out.
5. Brush egg wash over stuffed won tons and place in oven for 10-15 minutes until edges are brown or crispy.
6. Serve with sweet pepper jelly.
If you want to make smaller versions you can cut the filling in half and fold over the edges to make Jalapeno Popper Bites instead. This method also prevents any filling leakage as the edges will be folded in. Either option is going to give you the same satisfaction and a happy tummy!
These make for an quick and easy snack or appetizer. Super Bowl will be here any day now and these can be made within a matter of minutes for the masses! The combination of spicy jalapeno and creamy cheese filling is enough to make your taste buds throw a party. Serve these crunchy creations with a side of sweet pepper jelly for an extra kick. These are SO addicting and I promise you (yes PROMISE) there is no way you will be able to eat only one. This means you have to make plenty to go around because you may not want to share after the first bite!