Is tomorrow really the first day of May? Spring is flying by right before my eyes. Soon it will be the end of the school year and the beginning of a long awaited Summer vacation. I can’t stress enough how thrilled I am to not have to wake up before the sun rises each day. The next month or so is going to be hectic, from the end of the year classroom celebrations to preparing for Summer camp activities. I have plenty to do and each day it seems like something new gets added to that list. There really isn’t very much time in between either. The last thing I want to do after a busy day of running around is slave away in the kitchen. Simple meals are a must and while we all appreciate a quick fix satisfy hungry tummies, it doesn’t mean they have to be bland or boring. In fact, these decked out Crunchy Taco Tostadas using Hamburger Helper are anything but that!
- 1 box of Crunchy Taco Hamburger Helper
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 1/3 cups of milk
- 2 1/4 cups of hot water
- tostada shells
- cheddar cheese
- salsa or Pico de Gallo
- corn chips
- sour cream
- hot sauce (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with tostada shells. Bake for 6-7 minutes or until edges are lightly brown.
- In large skillet cook beef on medium to high heat until brown, drain.
- Stir in 1 cup of milk, hot water, sauce mix, and rice. Heat until boiling.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionaly until the rice is tender.
- In small bowl pour sauce mix and 1/3 cup of milk, stirring frequently until blended.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle with corn chips and topping.
- Scoop crunchy taco helper onto tostada shells and add on desired toppings.
See, quick dinners don’t have to be boring and they certainly don’t have to be tasteless. Hamburger Helper comes in several different varieties, including tuna and chicken if you’re feeling adventurous.