I wasn’t going to let the 4th of July come and ago without whipping up something sweet in the kitchen. What better way to celebrate a patriotic holiday than with a plate of Firecracker Whoopie Pie Bites? These may look like your typical whoopie pies but these yummy cakes have a bit of sparkle to them. The secret? Pop Rocks. A candy that most of us remember from our childhood can make any recipe fun. These are also the perfect treat if you are having a BBQ or get together for the holiday. Kids will love that pop and crackle in each bite they take!
- Wilton 24 cavity mini whoopie pie pan
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup of softened butter
- 1 cup of water
- 3 whole eggs
- red & blue food coloring
- vanilla icing
- 3 packets of red pop rocks (cherry or strawberry)
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray mini whoopie pie pan with Spam.
- Combine water, eggs, butter, and cake mix in large bowl. Beat with mixer until well blended. Separate cake mix in half and place in two separate bowls.
- Add red food coloring to one bowl and blue food coloring to the other.
- Bake 1 tray of each color and allow to cool before assembling.
- Mix 2 bags of pop rocks and 1 container off frosting together.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of mixture between two pieces of cake, one red and one blue, to create a whoopie pie.
- Sprinkle extra pop rocks along frosted edges.
What yummy desserts will you be making for July 4th?