Looking for a tasty seasonal snack to nibble on while your decorating the tree or wrapping gifts? Tropical Island Chex Mix is sweet, tangy, tart, and crunchy. This week Toodie and I prepared a whole batch at home and everyone has been munching on it since. This recipe is VERY easy to prepare which means you can have your children lend a hand in the process! If your family loves Chex Mix then this is sure to please. It’s a delicious alternative to the traditional Chex Party Mix varieties. Plus you can make it at home in under 15 minutes. With the weather getting a bit chilly here it sure does help to warm up the holidays and add a little “tropical tang” to tradition. Take a look at the recipe below and let me know what your family thought!
- 8 cups Rice Chex® cereal
- 1 cup shredded coconut, if desired
- 1 cup dried banana chips
- 1 package (7 oz) dried tropical fruit mix
- 1 jar (3 oz) macadamia nuts
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup frozen (thawed) pineapple or orange juice concentrate
1. In microwavable measuring cup, microwave butter uncovered on High about 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in brown sugar and pineapple juice concentrate. Microwave uncovered on High about 30 seconds or until hot; stir. Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated. Microwave uncovered on High 6 to 8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, until mixture just begins to brown.Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool. Store in airtight container.
2. Oven Directions: Heat oven to 300°F. In ungreased large roasting pan, mix cereal, coconut, banana chips, tropical fruit mix and nuts. In 1-quart saucepan, heat butter, brown sugar and pineapple juice concentrate over medium heat until hot. Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated. Bake uncovered 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool, about 15 minutes. Store in airtight container.
3. In large microwavable bowl, mix cereal, coconut, banana chips, tropical fruit mix and nuts.
If you are planning to make this recipe or any others involving cereal you may want to stop by your local Publix for these current savings:
11/14—12/31: Save $1.00 off 2 Chex cereals, find coupon in the “All The Trimmings” coupon booklet, available now until 12/31/13 in Publix stores.
12/12—12/18: BOGO on the following Chex cereals:
- 14.25oz Chocolate Chex
- 13.75oz Apple Cinn Chex
- 13.5oz Cinn Chex
- 14oz Corn Chex
- 13.8oz Honey Nut Chex
- 12.8oz Rice Chex
- 14oz Wheat Chex
- 13.5oz Vanilla Chex
Disclosure: I received the products needed to complete this recipe from General Mills in partnership with Plateful Co-Op. & Publix. All opinions are my own!